Does Your House Have Lions?

"One day in the late sixties, I was on the phone with Rahsaan and mentioned to him that just that day I bought a house.
He responded by asking, "Does your house have lions?"
I said, "What?"
He said, "Lions, you know like in front of a museum or the post office. You know, concrete lions. My house has lions. Get a house with lions."

--Joel Dorn

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Friday quote (a few hours early b/c I will be away tomorrow).

"Kirk was like Mingus:  everything he played had in it the shout, the cry that is the beating heart of black music, a cry of sorrow, of hope, of defiance, of pain.  Not only that but also a greeting, something you shouted out to friends and brothers to let them know you were on your way.  However else jazz changed, that cry had to be there.  Strip the modal thing away and there was swing, behind swing the blues, behind the blues that shout, the field holler of slaves."

--from "But Beautiful", Geoff Dyer