Does Your House Have Lions?

"One day in the late sixties, I was on the phone with Rahsaan and mentioned to him that just that day I bought a house.
He responded by asking, "Does your house have lions?"
I said, "What?"
He said, "Lions, you know like in front of a museum or the post office. You know, concrete lions. My house has lions. Get a house with lions."

--Joel Dorn

Friday, July 26, 2013

A Visit from Dorthaan

Yesterday was marvelous!  Dorthaan is in Houston at the moment visiting family, and she decided to make the drive to Austin to be with us for the day and to meet baby Johnny.
It was broiling outside, but not too hot for the deck in my backyard.  Dorthaan ALWAYS looks impeccable and yesterday was no different. Of course she and baby Johnny really hit it off and he loved finally getting to meet "Nana Kirk."
After a few hours of catching up we all went to dinner at The Salt Lick BBQ, the restaurant where my husband, Chuck works.  I've been telling Dorthaan about it forever but we've never had the chance to go until yesterday. 
Of course the food was fabulous and everybody ate too much--ribs, chicken, sausage, turkey, brisket, chopped brisket, the best slaw ever, beans and potatoes--but it was so worth it.

Best of all, when it was time for them to head back to Houston, we really didn't have to say goodbye!  Dorthaan and I will be meeting up in just two weeks to celebrate Rahsaan's birthday in San Jose!

Cheers,
May