Does Your House Have Lions?

"One day in the late sixties, I was on the phone with Rahsaan and mentioned to him that just that day I bought a house.
He responded by asking, "Does your house have lions?"
I said, "What?"
He said, "Lions, you know like in front of a museum or the post office. You know, concrete lions. My house has lions. Get a house with lions."

--Joel Dorn

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Searching for the Old Rugged Cross

I was going through some old files today when I came across some photos from my first trip to Columbus, Ohio--a road trip with my little sister, Susie.  A trip we took in the hopes of finding Rahsaan's grave.

That trip was seventeen years ago, almost to the day.  It rained hard the day before we arrived.  The graveyard was quicksand.  We sloshed along, row by row, hoping to happen upon it.  We searched for about an hour before giving up.  It would take another trip, a solo trip a month later that turned over so many other clues, before I would actually find it.

Recently, I've been in touch with an artist--a writer and photographer named Ed Luna--who kindly allowed me to share his photo of Rah's grave here:


(And here's a link to his blog if you'd like to check out some of his other work: http://edlunasees.wordpress.com/).

Bright Moments,
May