Does Your House Have Lions?

"One day in the late sixties, I was on the phone with Rahsaan and mentioned to him that just that day I bought a house.
He responded by asking, "Does your house have lions?"
I said, "What?"
He said, "Lions, you know like in front of a museum or the post office. You know, concrete lions. My house has lions. Get a house with lions."

--Joel Dorn

Saturday, February 1, 2014

The Top 100: Roland Kirk (Shaman?)

I have been following this amazing blog for some time now, by the artist Berry Van Boekel.  Here is a wonderful post about Rahsaan that includes an incredible painting of him.
(Also, I'm honored that Berry used a passage from my Rumpus essay about Rah.)

The Top 100: Roland Kirk (Shaman?): Rahsaan Roland Kirk 14" x 11", oil on wood, 2014 A wisdom encircled Rahsaan that had folks believing he had something gre...